We will help facilitate your permits whether you’re using local roads, facilities or public places. You may require consents for bigger shoots or if you’re building structures, using pyrotechnics, fire or firearms – it’s best to check it all out in advance.

Contact us in the first instance and we can point you in the right direction.

We recommend you engage a locally-based line producer or location scout/manager – they know the landowners and the ropes!

They are listed on the Industry Directory on this site and can help you obtain all your permissions and advise on/manage legal requirements, visa applications, tax, insurance, accepted work practices and all other aspects of production.

 Local Government 

Location filming that involves the following activities :

-    Use of streets and roads

-    Use of open spaces, reserves and parks
-    Use of council facilities and buildings
-    Use of waterways.

-    Use of council owned land


Permits: Require approval from the relevant local or regional council

 All permits for Queenstown Lakes District Council are processed through APL Property Queenstown :   email Sophie

Phone +64 37774079  -    Download a filming permit form here: QLDC Film Permit 2017

Department of Conservation (DOC)

To film anything for commercial purposes on public conservation land you must have a concession from DOC. This includes activities such as making a documentary, movie or advertisement.

The film crew should make contact with the local DOC office as early as possible in the production planning stages.

The local District Manager is the correct person to contact, DOC offer a free pre-application meeting.

A single point of contact (usually the location manager) is preferred by DOC.

Film crews should provide DOC sufficient time to respond properly to requests for filming concessions. DOC will endeavour to process applications in a timely manner, in acknowledgement of filming timeframes.

You will require a one-off concession if filming is less than three months, a longer term concession is required for any filming longer than three months. 

Application Information Form 1b and Filming Application Form 5a DOC Film Concession Form

Crews should endeavour to provide DOC staff with as much information as possible as early as possible in the application process. This should include details of locations, activities and potential effects, and a clear picture of the proposed ‘end-product’.

It is, in certain circumstances, possible to seek a variation to the permit during filming (extra locations, slightly different activities etc.).

Film crews should give as much advance notice to their DOC contact as possible of variations so that there is sufficient time to consider and respond. If there is a DOC Monitor present for filming, they may be empowered to make “on the spot” revisions/changes to the permit should they arise

For more information;

Filming at the Airport :

Any filming at any commercial airport requires permission from the operating Authourity; check the airport website for details.

Any filming at Queenstown Airport requires a permit from the Queenstown Airport Corporation , the contact number is +64 34509031 

Application form here : Queenstown Airport Film Application

Commercial filming on LINZ Pastoral Land (stations or farms)

If you are filming on Pastoral lease land with the permission of the leaseholder (farmer) you will also need a LINZ Pastoral recreation permit from LINZ Pastoral.

Please find the application form on the LINZ Applications page here Application Form

View pastoral lease run maps


 LINZ Administered Lakebeds and Riverbeds

Many New Zealand lakebeds and riverbeds are Crown property and are managed by LINZ on behalf of the Commissioner of Crown Lands.

If you want to undertake an activity involving a lake or river bed, you may need the permission of the Commissioner of Crown Lands. Some of the activities that require consent include building a jetty or boat mooring, anchoring swimming pontoons, or extracting gravel.

If you’re unsure whether you need consent, or want to confirm whether a particular lake or riverbed is managed by LINZ, contact

Key Landholders

Permission to film is required from the landowner of all locations. This section is designed to help filmmakers understand the significance that New Zealanders place on their landscape, and the steps necessary to obtain permission to film on public and private land.
Maori Land :
The encouragement of consultation with local iwi is recommended before filming in New Zealand. A general guideline about Maori filming protocols is given below.
Ngai Tahu (the Maori tribe of the southern islands of New Zealand) has published guidelines for filming within their own rohe (tribal region).
-    General Guidelines and Protocols For Filming within Iwi (Tribal) Boundaries (PDF, 80KB)
-    A Guideline for Filming within the rohe of Ngai Tahu (PDF, 125KB)Ngai Tahu Protocols
These guidelines have been prepared by Nga Aho Whakaari – Maori in Film & Video Inc., using the guidelines jointly prepared by Ngai Tahu and the Screen Production and Development Association (SPADA).


Contact the film office for all information on filming permits at

-    Download a permissions summary document list :

      Contact list for permissions